What Does A Typical Remodeling Project Cost When Done Correctly And In A Quality Manner?
“It’s unwise to pay too much, but is worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little – that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it can’t be done!
If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.”
John Ruskin (1819-1900) – English art critic and writer
We prefer to be very frank and forthright with all of our clients about the possible costs of their projects before we even get started. Simply put… it leads to happier clients.
While every remodeling project is different, we can help you determine a general budget range for many common projects based on what similar remodeling projects have cost in the past.
However, there are several factors which impact the final cost of any project. Such as quality of materials, site conditions, accessibility, age of your home, specific design tastes, finishes, updating existing systems, etc… just to name a few.
The following cost ranges should assist in helping you effectively plan your remodeling project. Sometimes projects do cost a little less than the figures used below but we feel it’s better to plan for the higher figures just to be safe.
KEEP IN MIND THESE TIMELESS AND COMMON LAWS OF ECONOMICS:
- YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
- YOU’LL FORGET ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU PAID LONG BEFORE YOU’LL FORGET ABOUT A POOR QUALITY JOB.
Typical Budget Ranges
Click on each project type below to see a description of what each budget range might include.
- Additions:$200 - $325 per square foot and up
- Basic Kitchen Update:$25,000 -$35,000 and up
- Basic Kitchen Remodel:$30,000 - $45,000 and up
- Major Kitchen Remodel:$50,000 - $75,000 and up
- Basic Bathroom Remodel:$15,000 - $20,000 and up
- Complete Bathroom Remodel:$20,000 - $30,000 and up
- Master Bathroom Remodel:$25,000 - $50,000 and up
- Basic Bathroom Addition:$40,000 and up
- Upgraded Bathroom Addition:$50,000 and up
- Entry Door Replacements
- Basements:$50 - $150 per square foot and up
- Finished Attics:$50 - $150 per square foot and up
- Decks:$45 - $65 per square foot and up
- Replacement Windows (custom wood windows):$1,200 - $2,200 per unit and up
- Vinyl Replacement Windows:$700.00 per unit and up
- Entry Door Replacements:$1,500 to $3,000 and up
- Patio Doors:$3,500 to $8,000 and up
- Skylights & Roof Windows:$2,000 - $4,000 per unit and up
- Porches:$100 to $200 per square foot and up
- Garages:$50,000 to $75,000 and up
- Carports:$15,000 - $20,000 and up