Questions To Ask
The Top Three Questions
Remodeling Contractors Are Asked Are:
1. How Much Will It Cost?
2. When Can You Start?
3. When Will The Work Be Finished?
While these are three great questions, they simply do not provide you with enough information about a particular remodeling contractor to enable you to make an informed, intelligent decision. By asking the following questions you’ll stand a much greater chance of hiring the right contractor and avoid becoming an unfortunate victim of another “nightmare” remodeling story.
These Are The Questions You Should Be Asking In Order To Choose A Reputable Contractor:
A reputable remodeling contractor should be able to answer POSITIVELY to all of the following questions. You would be wise to avoid any contractor that cannot.
(Note: We strongly urge you to print this out for use if you interview other contractors.)
- Will the remodeling contractor provide you with a written contact that clearly spells out exactly what he will do, what his price includes and does not include including a guaranteed price, payment schedule and a completion date?
- Will the remodeling contractor provide you with a written contract that clearly spells out exactly what he will do, what his price includes and does not include including a guaranteed price, payment schedule and a completion date?
- Does the remodeling contractor carry general liability insurance?
- Does the remodeling contractor carry worker’s compensation insurance?
- Will the remodeling contractor provide you with a written lien waiver at the end of the job?
- Is the remodeling contractor a member of NARI or NAHB? Does he subscribe to their Code of Ethics?
- Is the remodeling contractor certified as a CR or CGR?
- Is the remodeling contractor a member of the local Better Business Bureau?
- Does the remodeling contractor offer a written warranty on all workmanship and is it at least 2-years?
- Will the remodeling contractor pull any necessary permits?
- Who will be in charge of my job? May I meet this person or persons?
- Has the remodeling contractor been a party in any construction litigation in the past five years?
- Will the remodeling contractor provide you with references? (more than three recommended)
- What percentage of the contractor’s business is repeat or referral based?
- How many projects like yours has the contractor completed in the last year or two?
- How does the remodeling contractor plan to reduce dust and protect the rest of your home from the effects of the work? (Good contractors erect dust barriers and use drop cloths and other protective materials to protect your home).
- How is daily and general clean-up handled?
- Will the remodeling contractor provide a means for daily communication to address any questions or concerns you may have thought of after working hours?
- Will a professional designer and/or architect design your job? (For projects that warrant this level of service).
- Does the remodeling contractor provide realistic renderings, sketches and perspectives to allow you to clearly visualize your project early in the planning stages? (Again, for projects that warrant this level of service).
- Does the remodeling contractor have a kitchen and bath showroom to assist you with all your design needs and product selections?